Before I had even finished reading the blog post, I decided that we would make a dragon egg using papier mache around a balloon. I Googled to find recipes for the the paste and congratulated myself on not throwing out the junk mail newspapers that I had saved from before Christmas in case of ever doing papier mache. Tearing the strips is quite a pleasing task. I was also pleased that I hadn't used up all the balloons doing these.
|Balloon and paint brushy|
hanging to dry
I asked Z1 if she wanted a music on my laptop but she said she would prefer it to be quiet because otherwise she would be distracted. She was right and I was supposed to have learned that lesson already. We worked together happily and harmoniously and chatted about what colour we should paint it when it was finished. She told me that dragon eggs are kind of palish.
After she had gone to bed, I slapped another layer on to the now dry first layer to speed up the process as I didn't know how long Z1 would be willing to string this activity out. It did tie in quite nicely with the snow dragon which we made between layers so we had a bit of a dragon theme in the house.
|Z1 in action painting|
and glittering the egg
|The finished dragon egg|
hanging above our sink
dragon egg is not palish
but it is glittery.
You may also be interested to know:
- The paste recipe I used (in the highlighted box at the bottom of the linked page) made a lot of paste. A large mixing bowl full. We have most of it left. I did add salt to stop it going mouldy but if anyone has a recipe for making it edible, please do send it my way.
- We used some of Z1's discarded drawings on plain white paper for the final layer to make it easier to paint without newsprint showing through.